Friday 7 March 2014

Ceramics Workshop Induction - Session 2

Continuing on from last week, it was a relief to see that my armature was posable, while there was some milliput getting in the way of some joints, it was quite easy to chip them off without taking off too much, I will still keep this in mind however for future model making, that the model definitely needs to be bigger for the milliput to be evenly layered on, or I might have to go with a much simpler character design if I am required to stick to dimensions similar to these (6 inches and below).

I was playing around with it for a bit before we were properly
given our next task.

The next task was to tape up the milliput, otherwise the plasticine would (Interestingly) not stick to the model, this was probably the easiest part of the whole process since it was like bandaging a tiny little person, hehe. I was also a little surprised that the tape that was supplied to us was purchased from a nearby pharmacy (I had honestly thought that it was some fancy schmancy art tape).




Once again I ended up playing around with it when I was done covering up the milliput,  it was then that I noticed that its hands were a tad too big… a mistake that I was soon to regret later that afternoon...


Soon enough it was finally time to start putting on the plasticine onto our models, thankfully we were told to use only one color which definitely makes things easier (And a lot less messy and confusing).


By the way my support spring still refuses to stay put
no matter how hard I tried adjusting it, so this happens
now and then.
A little area was set up to allow us to take progress shots of our models.






My character seemed a little plain, so I thought I'd add some extra details that were not in the original sketch (Like a belt and some more detailed shoes) as well as some textures to her hair and clothes.




Thankfully the huge frame for her head had not caused any problems as I had initially thought it would (In fact I think it turned out pretty well). It is probably the perspective but her arms and shoulders bugged me the most, I ended up removing her fingers and quickly did up something that half-resembled curled fists instead (I know, they still look really weird, but at least they look less like Popeye's arms now), a really quick backpack was also done, I am hoping to attach it to her back when she is removed from the iron rod she is tied to.

I also need to drill in deeper holes for my characters' eye balls in the future, seeing that I only lightly sculpted in some spiral designs for her irises, I wasn't able to remove them for painting as it would surely badly damage her face so I had to leave them in there.

Here are some of my other classmates' models!



Shortly before out lunch break, Donny briefed us on a very quick Metamorphosis/Transformation exercise that we needed to carry out over the week, we were two pick two fairly different and simple shapes, and craft the ten stages of one shape morphing into the other, it might sound simple enough, but it's definitely going to be tricky as usual (I am also wondering how I can safely bring the plasticine pieces to next week's session, perhaps I might place them all into a plastic tub…).

No comments:

Post a Comment