Friday 14 March 2014

Ceramics Workshop Induction - Session 3

I knew I had forgotten about something last night before I turned in! Tonight I will finish up my metamorphosis exercise (This studio development week turned out to be a lot busier than I had first thought) no matter what! 

Anyway… the others  shared their wonderful works with the rest of us at the very start of today's session, and I respect the fact that some of them were daring enough to go for more complex shapes, and most of the transitions were pretty darn impressive. Donald had also suggested that we had proper photos taken of them later to create a simple little animation (Something I expected from the start really…).

Anna D's own work, I would have taken shots of the others' works but it got
awkward once Donald started placing them each on a wooden ruler and pointed
it at me.
Before moving onto something new, we were given the morning to further finish up our plasticine models, Donny was a huge help to me, giving me feedback on how to further improve for future model making, helping me with the eye drilling (Which I had forgotten to do), and helping me with the little details on my character (Such as connecting the plasticine backpack to my character, which I had left separated for the last 2 sessions) and cleaning up some parts of her clothing.








OH SH--
Unfortunately I was so focused on getting this fixed up that I had forgotten to take progress photos after that, I was so, so reluctant about removing her eyes as I would end up destroying her face completely (My crying about its destruction was mistaken for not being able to stomach the gore of a mutilated plasticine face… go figure) … and yeah, that did happen, but now I am proud to say that her eyes are actually able to properly move about in their sockets with the aid of a wire (Or hook)… and while her face still looks a tad wonky (As Rosy said, she looks like she was wearing a hockey mask when viewed from the side, due to all the extra plasticine), I think quite a few improvements have been made today on Tabitha (Alternatively, she is named Mike), and I'm happy about that.

 

After lunch, we were taught on how to create our character's head with white earthenware clay, a type of clay that was even new to the Fine Arts department.

A loaf of bread clay.


A cheese cutting string (Or piano string) used to slice off a piece
of clay.
Thumbing it into the shape of a bowl, it is important to keep
it cupped in your lam to keep its shape.
Cross hatching its edges.
Here he shows us how to create a simple type of paste called slip by 
mixing some cold water with clay, that will allow us to stick separate clay parts together.
Putting on a decent amount of slip on the edges of each  'bowl'
Connecting the two pieces together to form
a hollow sphere.



A ruler was used to beat it into shape.
Connecting the nose by cross hatching the underside
of the nose and the part of the face where the nose will be placed on,
before slathering on some slip/clay past before attaching them together.
Finally, it was our turn.
Unfortunately I stopping photos from here (But hey look at the cute clay ball I made!)  but to summarize what happened, clay is a lot more difficult to use and I wasted a lot of time trying to get the hair done, thankfully though I had managed to shape the face, and create the eyes, ears and cartoony blush, I just hope that no part of it actually blows up while I am away, I did the cross hatching slathered on a decent amount of paste, but who knows.

While I initially decided to do a pillow transforming into a pyramid, I ended up doing a ball in the end for the 2nd shape after the pyramid proved to be too time consuming, so here's (Technically) my first attempt at claymation (Lame, I know).


No comments:

Post a Comment