Sunday 24 April 2016

The Bond of Four - Production Values

   As I started colouring a couple of scenes whilst still animating (You know, multi-tasking as usual), I started putting together several references and inspirations to refer to in terms of how I should do the colouring, shading and lighting on each frame (The night scenes especially proved to be incredibly challenging for me). There were several shows that I have watched in the past months that were successfully able to blend in flatly coloured characters into any sort of environment of their choosing (I am especially talking about The Beast and the Boy, 2015), just by using the right sort of colour palette, which of course is actually quite complicated when you consider how many differently lit environments they would actually be put in (And so you would have to do more than one character colour palette if you were to use this technique, very much like what Steven Universe does). 

   But in my case, I was already set from the very beginning to go for a visual style that would have at least some shading and so looked into various animations (Particularly Japanese ones) that were known for their high production values.

   Below are not just the usual inspirations (Eg, Cannonbusters, Legend of Korra, Seirei no Moribito, etc.) that I have used from the very beginning of this project, but other works that I have come across whilst working on my animation (Eg, Soul Eater, Sailor Moon Crystal Season 3, Berserk, etc.). This also included examples for me to refer to for when I was colouring and shading armour, which proved to be quite a struggle for me, especially when I am rushing at this stage. 





No comments:

Post a Comment