Thursday 23 October 2014

Acting Up - Pre Production - References

So as I mentioned awhile back, I have gathered quite a few references that I can refer to for the animation, so first off let's start with the animation the song originated from:


"Mulan" to this day remains one of Disney's funniest animated films, it had a wide variety of songs that were all really enjoyable, and perhaps one of its most memorable ones (Aside from "Reflection") is "I'll Make a Man Out of You", featuring a humorous but rather inspiring and heartwarming training montage involving Mulan and the other soldiers who were initially antagonistic towards her, another fun fact is that Jackie Chan had performed the Cantonese and Mandarin versions of this song (Crap, I wish I knew where my Chinese album is now…).

Obviously I won't be copying the scene down to the last detail, I will most definitely be creating a more original choreography for mine, and besides, the verse I had chosen does not show much of the bo staff. I only wish to refer to the scenes where they are still learning how to use it, instead of immediately going for skilful spins and swings… Come to think of it, I suppose this could be of some use too (I know, I know it's a Disney sequel, but it was still pretty hilarious):




And whilst browsing through Tumblr as usual, I was fortunate enough to chance upon these gifs… though I fear that they might be a little too complex to animate (Or maybe this is because, perhaps I might be able to create some simpler moves out of them (Also that's a really pretty blue bo staff he got there~).

While I am planning to keep things simple (Because who know how many times I'm going to mess up over the next few weeks), I saw no harm in looking up more advanced moves, perhaps I might be confident in the next few weeks and will be able to insert them in (Because I was initially planning to go with this sort of tone if I was to animate a more awesome looking weapon demonstration, I mean look at that adorable ending)!


The first thing that came to my mind when it came to searching up references (Aside from the original animation of course) are the incredibly useful weapon demonstrations featured in the "Soul Calibur" games (I wish they had done the same with the "Tekken" games, though I suppose there are tons of reference videos for hand to hand combat without weapons). While once again a little too complex, if we are required to use some camera movements in our animation, I will have these videos to refer to!



The weapon is actually handled wrongly here (Due to some modding done on the recorder's part for entertainment purposes, a fighting style based around the Dao (Chinese sword) was inserted instead), but I felt that her moves are still plausible enough for the staff, and so kept it as part of my references.



Obviously I should refer to this one more as he is actually using a staff, and not a halberd (But I don't really care much for you Kilik…), but honestly their movements aren't all that different from one another, there are only a few tiny alterations made between their fighting styles.

I was going to search for some references of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle's" Donatello (Any incarnation is fine, though I suppose the 80s and 90s versions once again have more simplified moves as they were in 2D and well, the present one is done in 3D… so they will surely all prove to be helpful to me), maybe I will post them up in a future post, but for now, I'm going to do some quick study sketches from what I was able to gather together from these ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment