Saturday 18 October 2014

Acting Up - Pre Production - Song Choosing


So apparently choosing a song for this assignment turned out to be a lot tougher than I expected it to be, I pretty much discarded most of the choices I wrote down in the last mind map and ended up spending an entire evening looking through new songs on my iTunes. Aside from  considering the difficulty of the performance and what would be the most suitable prop to go a long with it, I had to see how long these verses would last, and so recorded the duration for each of them.

After the basic modelling session yesterday, I was able to narrow my choices down to 3 (OR 2 EVEN), as the props for the other songs would probably be too time consuming to create and animate:

Shark Fighter by The Aquabats (An inflatable shark)

Shark Fighter, toughest man in the sea!
Shark Fighter, with his wavy blonde hair flowing so freely...

I initially pictured Moom following along to the lyrics like some form of narration, trying to appear all brave and mighty as he punches an inflatable shark… before running his hand over his bald head in confusion at the last line of the song.

As for the prop, I'm sure I will be able to model a cartoony, simply looking inflatable shark with beady black eyes for use, that can remain stationary throughout the animation. I might also add more verses in if I can/have to:

I'm a shark fighter, I fight sharks
I fight 'em in the water 'cuz that's where they are
When I smell blood, I come running
Then I put them in a shark cage

'Cuz my life, to hunt down the creature I despise
Is full of danger
Whose eyes - those dead black marbles they call eyes -
This rhyme tells the story of the...


I'll Make a Man Out of You sung by Donny Osmond (Bo Staff)

Tranquil as a forest
But a fire within
Once you find your center
you are sure to win
You're a spineless, pale
pathetic lot
And you haven't got a clue
Somehow I'll make a man


Much like the scene in Mulan, I pictured Moom doing a basic weapon demonstration of sorts with the Bo Staff (I'm still wondering over whether I can even animate him twirling it) and swinging it around, before dropping it and curling into a corner upon being yelled at near the end.

A staff might seem way too simple a prop to model, but little details can be added in, such as the textures, bandages, etc, or I could even add a blade at the end and change it to a halberd!

Five O'Clock World by the Vogues (Clock, and Possibly a Bed)

Up every mornin' just to keep a job
I gotta fight my way through the husslin' mob
Sounds of the city poundin' in my brain
While another day goes down the drain

But it's a five o'clock world when the whistle blows
No one owns a piece of my time
And there's a five o'clock me inside my clothes
Thinkin' that the world looks fine, yeah
Holiday, yeah


The animation for this song would be inspired by the Walt Disney short "A Cowboy Needs a Horse", where the subject is practically suspended in mid air throughout, but is still able to interact with numerous objects regardless. Alike to that, Moom would be floating about, practically flying out of bed when he wakes up, before practically walking through midair as he tries getting through a husslin' mob (Which can pretty much just be a blob).

Once I mess around with Moom some more, I just might be able to finalise my decision on what song I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment