Thursday 19 December 2013

The Classical Elements - Pre-Production - References and Research 2

This research post will be focusing on the aesthetic aspect of my animation project.

Pooh Bear and the Blustery Day

                                       

The first thing that came to mind when I decided on doing my "Windy Day" animation was from this animated short, known especially for being featured in the "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" along with several other tales about the adorable yellow bear, this was also the last animated short produced by Walt Disney.

This was the only animation that came to mind that featured harsh, troublesome winds as a plot line and as a source of struggle for the characters, while I am sure that there are many other animations, I found this to be a great reference for how characters of different sizes interact with various strengths of wind.

The visuals of course are also great references (Disney always did some fantastic background designs, though I also adore the other interpretations shown in the book illustrations), I love the colors used to create that autumn feel and especially and hope to at least design a similar looking background later on when the Production stage commences.

Art Styles

  

While "Pooh Bear and the Blustery Day" remained my main source of inspiration, it was only right to look up on some other suitable art styles. I especially tried finding more stylish and unique looking art styles, studying the mediums used (Or at least the unique look that the digital animation was still able to achieve), the color choices and of course the amount of details put into each one. (Sometimes I just stare at the middle one and think to myself about whether I will be able to animate something of a similar style in the future…)

Color Schemes

And then there were color choices, to see how much more appealing I can make the overall animation look, while color choices were pretty much confirmed for the character and his props, there is still time to alter the background design a little, and maybe perhaps add some colors into the wind to make it more visible.

Though I suppose most of these references are more suited for gentle breezes (Unless the wind is a two-faced little… uhm.) and will not really suit the animation, I will most definitely have to do some experimenting though.

Wind Movements

 

Finally, it wouldn't be animation research without some animated gifs, did I mention how tough it was to find animations that featured vicious wind storms? Sure there are ones with rain storms, but there's a difference! 

Anyway, the animations that featured gentler winds weren't exactly going to be completely useless to me, in fact, along with the animated gifs that featured stronger levels of wind, it allowed me to compare how different they all looked from one another, to see how much their surroundings would distort and how their clothes and hair would move along (Though my character doesn't have a face… well, he has a scarf and an umbrella though andmaybeasuitcase).

No comments:

Post a Comment