Monday 9 December 2013

The Classical Elements - Pre Production - Idea Generation and Scheduling

One module ends and another begins, this time however we are off to a head start into our next big animation project centring around the four elements, or more specifically titled for this assignment: "The Classical Elements".


A schedule was required this time round considering that we are given more time for this one as compared to the last one (AKA, my "Fear" animation) which makes sense since this animation will have a longer duration and requires more time to work on, so I quickly drafted up a rough one for myself that I will refer to over the next 2 months.


Brief Outline for Assignment
Idea Generation
Being offered such open ended themes definitely made it easy to generate a number of ideas to choose from, but then that's is it, it was choosing just one solid idea after that was the challenge. I remembered over the past weeks that I was switching between numerous ideas, some would either be too intricate and long, or some didn't exactly have an obvious enough narrative to it (Which was especially required for this assignment).

I tried making things a little easier for myself right at the start by at least scrapping one element in favour of the three that I believe would be easier to animate, and as much as I love the element of fire, I believed it was time I tried something a little different from my usual style of work.

Water
Earth
Air
After scrapping water for being the second most difficult (Personally to me) element to animate, it finally came down to two ideas, one about earth and one about air. Listening to what my lecturer and peers thought of my sketches, I also decided to go with a simpler (But nonetheless still expressive enough) art style for my animation, simply put, something cute, but with a vibrant enough colour palette (And perhaps a detailed still background).

No comments:

Post a Comment