Friday 29 November 2013

Set, Series, Sequence - Stage 3.3 (Sequence)

I am not going to lie or sugar coat my words here, I was struggling a lot with this assignment, especially near the end, since I had to draw something I never even liked drawing in the first place, well… that's not necessarily true, but drawing something over and over did traumatize me enough to not want to draw that subject for the next few months (Transformers don't count, not when they are in bipedal mode).


Anyway, I still couldn't really decide between two mediums (Watercolors and typography-collar), and so I decided to do both, especially since the other would work as a back up piece in case the other one turned out horribly.

Let's start off first with the easier piece I did, the watercolors one, I believe the only things I messed up on is the shading (The car could have especially used more shine to it) and the order of the panels (I only realized this by the time I finished sketching out all the panels, and I was not going to erase and draw them all over again in their correct panels!), so I wounded up cutting out each panel and pasting them back in the right order.

Again I really like the dreamy look the medium gives and the challenge of not using black for the shadows and even the sketch lines (I firstly sketched out everything with a green pencil before drawing over them again with a blue pencil after I finished painting each panel). I definitely still need to improve more on my painting technique however, the diffusing could have been done so much better.


Sketches


Moving onto the other version... I drove myself to the brink of insanity hand drawing each letter, that's the problem sometimes when things are done digitally, since you have the option to go back and fix mistakes, you waste your time redoing things over and over instead of getting it over and done with. 


I wasted a lot of time trying to get these to look the way I wanted them to, only to have them scrapped in the end.

 
Thankfully by going back to this style of typography (Which I had also used for my 8-piece series), a lot less time was wasted and I actually was able to get this storyboard finished in time (Which would not have been possible if I had stuck to the previous technique).


By doing this digitally, it was much easier creating more intricate shapes, so to make the objects and the character more recognizable (It looked like more like a blob than a human at times, an issue I addressed in my Stage 2 (Series) blog post), I included more details like windows for the car and slightly more shapely hands for the character.

I actually enjoyed recreating the cut out look (Though the shadows were a bit of a pain…) and trying to make everything look more traditionally done. There was so much masking and layer editing done for this entire storyboard...

Out of everything however, I struggled mostly with the font choices, it was difficult finding fonts that would best suit the character and car, I wanted to go for a raw looking font that showed how much the character loved its car, and something that evoked how expensive but nonetheless stylish the car was… 

And so after trying my best in choosing suitable fonts, the next best thing I could do was choose colors that would fit them (Which was definitely easier), such as a pinkish red for the character (A color that normally represents love and passion) and purple (A color that tends to represent stylishness) for the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment