Monday 5 May 2014

Tale in the Sting - Post Production - Finishing Touches

Credits



Choosing fonts was never something I was ever confident in (I mean I barely passed any of my Typography classes, no… let's not go there, those were dark times), but I know what matters the most is to choose one that is clear enough for the audience to read, and so I decided to use a font similar to the one used for the book's cover (An interesting fact is that serif fonts are also considered much easier to read than sans serif fonts), the animation itself was already pretty clean and not so vibrantly colored, so there really wasn't a need to choose anything particularly fancy, using one type of font seemed just fine to me (Since I wasn't listing many names in the credits either), and so all I did was play around with sizing and hierarchy.

Each credit is suppose to appear onscreen for the same duration, after a little testing, I had decided to give each credit a 2 second duration with the exception of the title (That was given an extra 1.5 second), from what I can see, it seems long enough for the audience to read and absorb, if not, perhaps I can at least add in at least one second more for each of them (But so far no one has made any comment on that).

While my choice of actresses are considerably random, I do feel that Mana Ashida was a good choice for the main role, I mean… just look at her…


And Guillermo Del Totoro.
She has also proven herself to be a decent child actress in Pacific Rim and just oozes the cuteness and quirkiness that makes her perfect for the role of Totto-Chan.

Koyuki Kato (Her stage name is simply Koyuki) who is perhaps best known for her role in The Last Samurai also seems suitable for her role of the main character's mother, she is great at pulling those types of expressions (Meek, worried, despair, etc.) that makes you pity her and overall in recent years, she has a pretty motherly look about her (No I'm not saying that she looks old!).

It didn't seem like it was enough to list only two names in the credits, and so Michiko Kichise's name was pretty much thrown in at the last minute. Seeing that the teacher was the only other character in the entire animation (Aside from the dog), it was a pretty easy decision to list a portrayer for her as well. The actress also does remind me a little of Ms Azusa Fuyutsuki from the series Great Teacher Onizuka (Both the live-action and anime).

Video Editing

I didn't need to do much editing for this video, after compiling all the scenes together, I just needed to trim off a few seconds (That I had actually put in for each animation just in case. For e.g, the music scene is suppose to last for around 5 seconds, but I made it a 10 second animation just in case, hahahahahahahahaha) for several scenes, and it really wasn't a problem squeezing it into the 40 seconds duration (If I remembered correctly, even before I had started trimming any of the scenes, the entire compilation lasted around 43 seconds).\

Two voice recordings were done for the main character (One in the dog scene and one in the final window scene), and to make myself sound a bit more like a little girl, the pitch for each recording was then brought up just a smidge in iMovie (This software has saved me way too many times this year…). 

No comments:

Post a Comment