Monday 5 May 2014

Tale in the Sting - Production - Music Scene

I had mentally prepared myself before I began animating this scene, but surprisingly… it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, especially when I stuck to the plan of keeping the animation as simple as possible. 

I was also thankful that I had this for reference!


I did however have to go back and double check on how certain instruments were actually played and handled, such as the Shamisen, I hadn't noticed until much later on that a paddle-like object called the Bachi was used to strum the strings of the instrument. After that, it was simply figuring out which bits I was going to animate and which bits should be left alone.

Instead of drawing them from scratch in every single frame, the first thing I did was to separate the parts I was planning to animate from the main body itself.

The left hand holding the Bachi, right arm and the Shamisen were separated from the rest of her body.


I tried showing a more noticeable impact by making
the tambourine move along with her hand once it comes in contact with it.

I didn't want him to have the same movements as the Shamisen player,
so I decided to make him the singer.


I did have to tweak his pants a little after I did the
main animation for his upper body, and I actually
kind of like the static detail of his pants~
And finally ze little girl~

Yeah… I think she could have been done a lot better (Especially since the movements of the others, despite how limited they are, are so much smoother), but I think her dancing seems to at least suit the music I imagined these musicians playing.

While the animation for this scene is a lot simpler as compared to the other scenes, I find this scene to be one of my favorites, aside from the obvious fact that I didn't need to stress over the characters getting too deformed over time (Which is simply a drawing problem that I just need to improve on overtime, no point always whining about it), I really did enjoy picking out the colors for each of their outfits. (I also think it makes the best gif out of them all!)

No comments:

Post a Comment