Sunday 4 May 2014

Tale in the Sting - Production - The Window Scenes

Initially, I had thought of reusing the same scene three times throughout my title sequence, but soon enough a part of me screamed to actually do something more instead of taking the lazy way out (Which I believe I have done numerous times throughout this project, I almost didn't even want to color the characters until my teacher had assured me that it wasn't as tedious as I believed it to be, yeah go ahead and kick me). And so, three slightly different window scenes were done:

 Scene 1 - Gazing

As mentioned earlier, I pretty much used the same process for nearly all of the scenes, and that is firstly doing up a rough sketch, cleaning up the lines, coloring it, and repeating certain layers where necessary (Like a running cycle for instance, where I can use the same 12 or so frames over and over instead of drawing brand new ones for the entire thing)



I really wasn't sure why her hat was causing me so much trouble (Seeing that it already has such a simplistic shape), but it did, for the entirety of this project… Soon enough I had to add in a number of guides while sketching and cleaning up the lines to make sure that she didn't deform too noticeably over the course of each scene.

I also honestly believed that I could have done a better job with the physics of her dress, but I know that I shouldn't waste too much time in such details and just carried on, knowing I had so many more, far more complicated scenes to work on.


While there thankfully weren't that many frames, I still wasted quite a lot of time
trying to fix them, such as her head seeming far too small
or her lower half looking… much too puffy.

Her swaying is a little too fast for my liking.

I added in one or two more frames in this one so that she bends back a little more.

The background was drawn in after I drew in the character, so that I could figure out how much window space I should give her (It could work the other way around too I guess).

Before coloring, I quickly did up a color palette by the side, so that I didn't have to go back and forth looking at previous frames while using the eye dropper. Note the web of guides I have entangled my character in...



As a precaution, I used a black backing while coloring in each frame (Another process I used for the other scenes later on), I colored everything in white first before adding in the colors, just to make sure that I did not miss out on any areas. (We wouldn't want any part of the background to be seen through her now would we?)

And after all that, I just needed to add in a soft white glow and voila!

Scene 2 - Tip Toeing

Instead of creating a brand new Photoshop file, I instead duplicated the one with the first window scene, seeing as I should be starting on the last frame from the first scene, I simply deleted all the other frames (Excluding the background) before starting on the second scene. As you can see I did the ugliest, roughest silhouette sketch ever for this one (Maybe because I was distracted watching Head of State at the time…), I believe however that aside from the hat as usual, the hands were also a challenge to draw for each frame (In fact they still look weird, why couldn't I have just let them as mittens?!). 

After all of that was done, all I needed to do was to extend the durations of each frame to make her movements a little slower and smoother.


Don't worry I had that little black bit in the corner erased out later on.

Scene 3 - Waving


The only problem for this scene is that it seemed like the curtain will block her arm when she is waving, thankfully though, it wasn't too much of an issue as you can see in the following gifs where I simply needed to animate her arm waving slightly more to the left. If the view of her arm had been completely blocked from the outside of that window, I would have had to move her a little to the left, and while that doesn't seem like much, it is especially tedious seeing that I would have to reposition her in the other window scenes as well (And you know how Photoshop tends to hang when you are trying to reposition tons of layers in one go).

Still, I realize how big that curtain is now (As compared to the one I had doodled out for my animatic), as a precaution, I might have to make it a separate layer from the rest of the background in the future (But eh… these things tend to happen I guess, it could have been worse, definitely).

This was definitely the easiest one to animate, seeing all I had to animate was her arm.

Symbiote arm action going on there.

"Wingapo."

"Oi~"
Drifting Clouds


A quickly done cloud background.
While this was a small little detail that no one will probably notice or care for when watching, I still wanted to create a moving background outside the window, so to at least give Totto-Chan at little something to gaze at while daydreaming, before something more interesting catches her eye that is...

No comments:

Post a Comment