Monday 4 November 2013

Final Study Task - Progress

There wasn't much time given for this final assignment, so I am afraid I didn't get a chance to explore all the themes that were available in this assignment (Aside from the mind maps in the earlier post). I couldn't get much sketching done either, so I figured it was best to pick out one of the more outstanding ideas I had written down awhile back and quickly get to animating as I only have a week left.

Fear stood out to me the most, and not often do I get to work on something more horror-based (Even though I am quite a fan of that genre), and as the duration is pretty short, I feel that this if my chance to have some fun in animating something short, sweet, and gory.

I still have to try my best to keep it as simple as possible as this is practically my first major animation assignment (No, really).


Assignment Outline
Sketches

The idea is pretty much based on a nightmare I had a couple of weeks back, about a family that have horribly mutated and a girl that was hiding away from them in a tiny cabinet as they devoured something right on top of it (And to me that was the scariest part, they were eating cake, and blood was splattering everywhere). Obviously I can't animate the entire thing for this assignment so I separated it into several areas, as well as sketched out some more obvious types of fears/phobias (Darkness, clowns, dolls, etc.).

In terms of this depiction of fear however (Aside from the obvious physical manifestation of a terrifying monster) for the top sketches, I feel that it depicts the fear of the unknown as well as the fear of being negatively judged and mistreated by others (Hence the cruel laughter), be it peers or one of your siblings.


I would also consider this to be fitting of the Happiness theme.

My choice was quickly confirmed with my lecturer so the next thing was to sketch out key points to make the animation process a little easier, instead of simply diving right into it, even if it is a short animation. I decided to do it digitally as it would be faster (I won't have to waste time scanning in frames one by one) and perhaps cleaner, as the brief mentioned to keep the animation as simple as possible, I decided to at least settle with a simpler coloring style, black and white with red for the gore.

No comments:

Post a Comment