Sunday 24 November 2013

Set, Series, Sequence - Research and References


I decided to go with a Citroen DS3 simply because my sister owns one, so in a way, this piece will be dedicated to my dear older sibling. However, the exaggerated love story about a man and his strangely sentient car is in no way based on her relationship with her own car (Though she does take good care of it). 

Thankfully there was a decent amount of photo references available for this model, so I was able to familiarize myself with it by drawing it from various angles.

I believe the biggest issue for me when it comes to drawing this model (Even though it will be done as typography silhouettes for the finalized storyboard, which should make it simpler) is giving it more humorously human poses (Like making it dance, or sit beside its owner), seeing that it has such a flat 'bottom', it will look really odd when it tries to stand on its rear wheels.

As mentioned in the previous post, my lecturer and I decided to go with Typography as the main medium for the final storyboard, it definitely allowed for a more interesting narrative style and also gives a more unique presentation of the character's emotions.

So obviously I had to go search for some more references and see if there were better ways to play with the words (Different shapes, sizes, exaggeration, etc) instead of simply 'masking' paragraphs of random words (Like what I had done previously for Stage 2), so to better describe certain emotions during each scene.



This outline style would prevent each sequence from being too busy (Something that I have been worry about since I first gave the style a try), though it would be a little dull, I could probably mix it in with other typography styles.

This style does give a more solid rendering of characters and objects, but the words are really hard to read since they are squeezed so tightly together, so what's the point in that?


This is really vibrant and expressive, I will however to draw each letter by hand to get this effect, also I still do want to use some proper words instead of throwing random letters about (Though I don't mind doing so for certain areas, like the wheels).



I almost considered simply making the character a plain silhouette like the above images, but one part of me thinks that the character would be more interesting if it was literally composed of its own thoughts, while another part of me once again worries about how busy everything would look...  I am still a little torn about this matter actually, so I just might do two versions and see which looks better after.


 

These are just other references I have been referring to when creating more solid shapes out of type while still allowing the words to be somewhat readable. A variety of things are used, such as different colors, opacities, sizes… they do however try to stick to just one type of font, despite stretching and distorting them.





Again I was considering giving my character some facial features... despite how I decided to go with a faceless character, these references are still useful for color usage and expressiveness. I also noticed how some of them had effectively used the same lines of words without rotating them to give the subject a better shape (Referring to the 3rd to 5th images), and once again, instead used size differences for some proper hierarchy and contrast.

No comments:

Post a Comment