Wednesday 20 November 2013

Set, Series, Sequence - Stage 2 (Series)

Ugh, I am really behind schedule for this one, I will just have to immediately move onto Stage 3 without getting the chance to show these to my lecturer first.

While I had planned to design a cute, cartoony character for this series. After much thought, I decided to keep this character's design ambiguous so to show how it relates to most (If not all) car lovers, I will however at least give it a mouth in the storyboard later on to make it a bit more expressive.

I tried keeping the perspectives simple and instead tried doing different close-ups (Since cars aren't one of the easiest things for me to draw).

Collage
The mixture of textures definitely gave this piece a pretty fun look, it depends though if I have enough of the same materials to make several more of them (And making them for scratch also takes time).


Ink
One of the more detailed ones, it was nice figuring out ways to convey the love the character feels for its vehicle without the use of colors and instead with different lining techniques (Though I could easily throw them in with other mediums if so desired). Thankfully this wasn't too time consuming... though I probably could have done a much neater job than this, the scratchy style doesn't really work for this subject.

Markers
I wanted to give detailed marker rendering a try, but as I was also thinking more about how to present this into a story, flat coloring might actually work better if I was to choose this medium for my storyboard.
Pencils
My least favorite, aside from the fact that it was one of the more boring ones to work on, I just feel that it doesn't convey the character's love as much as the others.
Pens
Probably the fastest one, instead of giving this one a huge amount of details like some of the other pieces, I decided to instead go for a more simplistic line sketch (With minimal shading) for the character and its vehicle, especially after seeing some nice, stylish examples that takes advantage of negative spaces while also adding a decent amount of details into selective areas instead of all over the entire thing.


Poster Colors 
My second least favorite (Maybe mainly because it takes longer for works like these to dry), I really wouldn't use this type of medium for my animations unless I was given a decent amount of time, it would be better to use these for single illustrations… like this one actually. I also decided not to add in the character for this one and instead show a proper close up of the back of the car.

Typography Collage
I decided to just do a collage version for this one too as penning in each word would take me awhile (Though it will probably give a different visual result). It isn't too different as compared to the other collage piece, though of course the usage of typography does perhaps give more insight into what the character thinks of its car. 

It's terribly hard making out the figure of the character curling on top of the vehicle (It just looks like a lump to me)… this might have probably looked better if I had penned in the words by hand (Though it would be much more time consuming).
Watercolors
Aside from the really awkward hugging pose in this one (It looks more like a defensive pose… which probably still works), I do like the dreamy look the watercolors gave this piece, I was also trying to follow my fine art teacher's principle of not using black in my watercolor paintings, and simply use darker shades of colors instead. 

I have noticed too that the composition and perspective for this one is pretty flat and dull, which unfortunately does take away the pretty feel of the watercolors used. Even if I was to draw the same subject from a variety of perspectives, I never should have drawn one as flat as this. I will definitely keep this in mind for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment