Tuesday 21 January 2014

The Classical Elements - Production - Issues and Mishaps

As if I have not complained enough...

I never thought I would face so many problems when it came to this assignment, my laptop was crashing at least 5 times a day (I mean it happened for my last project too, but not this often) and would freeze numerous times (Resulting in me resetting gosh knows how many times), there was a problem with nearly every expect during the production process, and in this post I will share with you the issues that had sent me into numerous panic attacks. 

Resizing Accident

Whenever I saved a progress gif, I would bring it down to 20% of its original size (As saving it in its original size causes my laptop to hang). One day in my exhaustion however, after saving another gif, I had forgotten to undo the action and revert my animation back to its original size, and didn't realize it until it was too late (When I had already saved over the work file and closed Photoshop, with all of my work history gone), making my entire animation extremely blurry when I tried resizing it back to its original size.

While not a perfect solution, I however was able to resize the canvas back to its original size and insert a JPEG image of the background I had saved awhile back, the street lamp was no longer a separate layer from the background but I think it is better this way, previously the street lamp would move about in the animation for some reason, and while it might seem dumb to erase out bits of the character to make it look as if it was passing behind the lamp post, it really wasn't all that bad.

Also thankfully, I still had to repaint each frame (This was when I decided to quickly add in the scarf and umbrella details while I still had time), and so I could fix up the character and make it less blurry after the resizing.

Exporting

Despite how I had drawn exactly 240 frames, despite how I even made sure I was using the correct frame rate (I even tried it for both Video Timeline and Animation Frames), the animation would always be shorter than 20 seconds (Normally it would come out to be only 16 seconds at most). I had checked the exporting settings I had used numerous times too (And nothing seemed out of the ordinary), so I was absolutely confounded.

I had tried asking around a bit and almost considered saving each image individually as a friend had done, but due to the lack of time and the fear that it wouldn't work in the end, I scrapped that idea.

So the only thing I was able to do in the end (After wasting days exporting something that would never change over and over despite the various settings I tried) was to edit the animation on a video editing software, and thankfully that worked.

I still wish to find a solution to this problem in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment