Thursday 16 January 2014

Wind Along the Coast (Ivan Maximov)

While looking up wind animations for my Classical Element project, I was fortunate enough to chance upon this.


Ivan Leonidovich Maximov is a russian professional animator and director who born in Moscow in 1958, initially studying photography before working as an illustrator for various magazines, and then moving onto work as an engineer before taking advanced studies in Film Directing and Script writing, needless to say the man has done a lot in his life, even before he started getting into animation. 

Despite having worked mainly on film animations, character designs and caricatures, Maximov has also created the computer game "Full Pipe" in 2003, that appears to use a mixture of both 2D animation and 3D backgrounds.

European animations such as Maximov's definitely have a different feel to the American and Japanese animations I have grown so accustomed to in the past years  (Which simply means that I just don't watch enough european animations, shame on me), from the shorts I have managed to watch so far however, his works remind me of a more surreal version of the Peanut cartoons, and I must say that they are pretty entertaining to watch.

Aside from a pretty unique, dreamy (And also pretty detailed) art style and interesting character designs, the animation quality is wonderfully fluid, despite how 'fine-arty' the art style seems at times (Almost Dali inspired really), movements can range from being smooth to creepily twitchy.

Maximov's other works can be viewed here.

Sometimes I think to myself however, if I will ever be able to find one european animation with a straight forward narrative…


… I think I just need to search harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment