Sunday 8 March 2015

Competition Brief - Macmillan Children's Books - Interior Illustration 2-2

Finally finished up the last illustration the best I could today, I ended up disregarding that tiled floor tutorial I tried to use previously (Though I would love to try using for something else in the future), and just went for a much more base method.


I simply drew up a grid and stretched it out as far as I possibly could (Again it was a challenge) before using the perspective tool. It could be better (I swear I should have just illustrated the scene BEFORE she shrank), but it is definitely better compared to what I attempted the last time. The next thing I did was colour in the tiles (It was pretty easy deciding which tiles to colour in as you can see below) and cleaned up other bits of the illustration as usual.


Aside from adding in some subtle shadows, the sheen to the pink tiles were definitely what made this piece so much more finished. This was the first time I used such a technique for painting floors and I must say I really enjoy it, and should be able to use for future background designs (Who would thought that it was enjoyable painting tiled floors?).


And that's about it really, I went back to the first interior illustration and simplified the trees a little more so that it would not look so incredibly detailed compared to this piece, I also thickened the lining around Alice (I especially needed to fix one of her brows) after using the soft air brush, so that she would stand out more from the softer details of the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment