Sunday 8 March 2015

Competition Brief - Macmillan Children's Books - Submission and After Thoughts


I noticed after rereading the brief that there was actually no mention of inserting the book's title anywhere on our cover designs, and so being technically done, I just needed to put in other finishing touches such as Pan Macmillan's logo on the cover design as well as the page numbers for the interior illustrations (Which looked really ugly seeing that I had to go with black, so that it could be seen clearly).

Apparently those little brief analysis sessions proved to be pretty handy, as during my submission, we were asked to write about why was it that we wanted to enter this competition, as well as our design approach. Thankfully I did not have to write this all from scratch again, and simply copied and pasted some of the bits that I already wrote out in my past brief analysis.

I know that so much more could have been done to make these illustrations better, but with the amount of time given and all the other projects that kept squeezing its way in, I do believe that I did the very best I could. I suppose I could have enjoyed it more if my choices were not so limited, for instance, we did have to illustrate scenes from the Pan Macmillan edition (So that they could identify which page the illustration is based on), and seeing that I didn't want to purchase a physical copy for them, I had to make do with the sample that was given. And as expected, I soon enough grew sick of this brief, I honestly could have stopped at 1 interior illustration, but I was proud that I still managed to keep going and got 2 done.

Overall I am just glad that I finally submitted in my deliverables for this brief, hopefully I can finish my SYFY by the end of this week. In the meantime, I suppose I should reread the brief for that one, so I do not end up doing too much unnecessary work for it again that I probably will not have to submit in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment