Friday 10 April 2015

Live Brief - WeLoveFine - Brainstorming and Sketches

The submission deadlines for this contest are spread pretty far apart from one another (So to match the release date of each subsequent episode), and while there is plenty of time, I had to make some alterations to my own schedule so that it would better match my module's deadline, at this point in time, I am hoping to at least submit in 4 designs before the end of this Easter break.

While I was focused on designing more original pieces for Ohh Deer's contest, and more fanart related ones for Qwertee, what makes this brief different from the other product designing contests is that it is focusing on one particular series, giving me more time to think about other areas such as style and concepts.

When I was drafting up a quick mind map, I looked back to the past winners for some inspiration. Each one has their own unique art style, but still retains some of the original qualities of what makes the "Bee and Puppycat" series great, each design still suits the quirky tone of the show while also having their own unique appeal to one another (Such as Kit Thomas' more painted art style and Cathy Le 's pixel-styled piece)





While "Bee and Puppycat" in a way pays homage to the magical girl genre (Much like "Steven's Universe"), aside from that, I am trying my absolute best to avoid designing concepts that are an obvious parody to other existing series (Such as throwing Bee into Sailor Moon's costume, or something to that effect), I might make very, very subtle references to them, but again, they won't be a full out parody (Especially when I have to consider the copyright rule that is mentioned in the FAQ).


Mindmap

And below are the sketches I did, over the next few days, I will further explain the concept behind each of them while also finishing them up for submission. All I can say for now is that I have once again experimented with several kinds of styles in hopes of seeing which one would be the most well received later on.




No comments:

Post a Comment