Friday 19 February 2016

The Bond of Four - Character Designs 3

   Whew, so it's been awhile since I updated. But so far so good in terms of the character designs themselves, while I still have at least two more to go (Excluding background characters), all the main characters have been designed by this point and it's finally time to move onto storyboards and perhaps a few animation tests. I am really hoping to get all of that done by next week and send an animatic over to Luke so that he can begin planning for the music itself. My Tumblr blog has also been shared with Rosy and all concept art is available for her usage when she begins designing the title sequences for this animation.


   I have seen many people regard their creations as their children, and perhaps, I am starting to understand exactly how they feel. Being a huge fan of assassin characters, Date quickly became one of my most favorite designs. Granted, he was definitely a pain to polish and update (Especially when I had to look back to my 6 year old illustrations) because of how much details I had to take out when I have to consider the fact that I have to animate him in a fight scene…

   So there’s not much variety going on with Date as compared to the other characters, but I really just wanted to keep his outfit as simple as possible. So of course, the chainmail and little patterns had to go! I am most likely going to stick to the black and grey color scheme for him, though I’m still considering keeping his scarf a greyish blue color. Details probably won't be that much of an issue considering the fact that the fight will take place at night with lots of shadows covering up most of the details.


   While all of them were pretty much had closed eyes and missing mouths and noses in the old illustrations, I found myself keeping the closed eyed look for Prince Jubei... well, at least in this concept piece (In a rough sketch of mine, I actually gave him rather lazy if not slanted down eyes when they are open). Prince Jubei may seem like the laziest little bugger the kingdom has ever seen, but the majority of the royal family are well aware of the sharp intellect he possesses, as well as the immense potential as a political leader. Which makes him the top runner up for the throne.



   I then put together a quick character lineup to see how they all looked together. Jubei definitely needs a little more work (But at least I got his outfit figured out) in terms of the art style used. It is pretty apparent that not all of them are done in the same art style.


   The next character design I worked on after that was Ohana the Witch (She's practically floating in this concept, hence the way her feet are positioned). While she is seen in a really brief scene in the animation, I intend for her to play a much bigger role in the story itself... and so found myself putting a lot of love into her design. I was still able to keep all the little details for Ohana the Witch, seeing as she was going to be in one short scene in which she barely moves in (Save for her face and hands).

   I was going to do up one really quick reference of her (I was simply going to go with her original design, which is the second piece shown here) but ended up getting inspired by several gorgeous Indian and Thai traditional costumes that I saw on my dash… So, as compared to the other concept art where I simply messed around with different color schemes, I ended up designing a few different outfits for Ohana the Witch, while keeping to the same (Or similar) color scheme throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment