Tuesday 15 March 2016

Samurai Champloo



   Samurai Champloo was one of my first few inspirations from the get go when it came to this project, and honestly, I am actually surprised I haven't done a write up for it until now (Or did I...? Oh well). This was just one of those anime series that broke out of all those stereotypical anime tropes during that period, making it one of my biggest influence for works that might be considered 'anime' to many when it is so much more than that.
   
    An Action Adventure Chanbara Comedy Japanese anime series developed by Manglobe (Also later known for Ergo Proxy), Samurai Champloo featured a production team lead by now renowned Shinichiro Watanabe, character designer Kazuto Nakazawa (Known for his anime sequence in Kill Bill Volume , The Animatrix's "Kid's Story" and Linkin Park's "Breaking the Habit") and mechanical designer Mahiro Maede (One of the most prominent Japanese anime creators working today, having contributed to such works as Final Fantasy: Unlimited, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo and Neon Genesis Evangelion). Samurai Champloo would also be Watanabe's first directorial effort for an animation television series after the critically acclaimed Cowboy Bebop.


   Shinichiro Watanabe is known for incorporating multiple genres into his anime creations. In Cowboy Bebop for example, Watanabe blends classic cowboy western with 1960s/1970s New York City film noir, jazz/blues music, Hong Kong action movies, and sets the entire series in space. And in Samurai Champloo itself, Watanabe unites the cultures of Okinawa, hip-hop, modern-day Japan, and chanbara. With such a unique blending of genres, this has led to some referring him as the "Quentine Tarantino of anime", and to this day remains among Japan's best animation directors.
   
   Having been a huge fan of Cowboy Bebop (It was especially one of my biggest influences when I was studying Illustration back in my last art school), Samurai Champloo was admittedly... not one of my absolute favorites the first time I had watched it (And I suppose this is due to the fact that Mugen came off as a much weaker and less charming protagonist when compared to someone like Spike Spiegel... Yeah, I really wasn't the most open minded person at that time). 

   I can't necessarily remember when it was exactly that I decided to give it another chance, but once I did, I do say that it is now an even bigger influence on my work than Cowboy Bebop ever was. It's funny really, as I really can't imagine it never being a part of my life now. It has after all influenced some of my most favorite shows, particularly The BoondocksTo this day, I found myself rewatching this series far more than I have Cowboy Bebop (It is not to say that one is better than the other, because I absolutely love both these series with all my heart... and quite honestly, I am planning to rewatch Cowboy Bebop once I do get the chance to).
   
   When comparing it to Cowboy Bebop (Yes, I am going to be doing that a lot during this post if you haven't already guessed), the animation style and art direction is notably looser if not rougher when compared to Cowboy Bebop's more... traditionally animated look (In my opinion at least, that series just has a more old school sort of look to it when compared to this series), especially when it came to its main characters' designs and animation. 
   As mentioned in my last post about sacrificing a character's appearance when animating certain scenes, there are many instances when details might be sacrificed by the animators when animating certain scenes (And I feel that Mugen especially falls victim to this numerous times throughout the series). This could perhaps come off as somwhat lazy, especially when this series has been regarded for most of its quality fight sequences. And in fact, it certainly still deserves that reputation, presenting some of the most dynamic and uniquely choreographed fight scenes seen in any anime series. How often would you see a vagabond use aspects of break dancing during a sword fight with another samurai?
   
   While there were certainly a lot of modern genres and influences in it, I also enjoyed the fact that it was nicely balanced out with more traditional ones. Jin especially takes on the role of the traditional ronin in both personality and fighting style, which creates this really nice contrast between him and Mugen. This odd couple can be enjoyed whether they are dueling one another or fighting alongside one another throughout the entire duration of the series.


   Samurai Champloo was most certainly also memorable for its amazing soundtrack (One which I have continued listening to to this very day). Produced by Watanabe's longtime friend DJ Tsutchie and Japanese hip hop duo Forces of Nature, others that were involved were R&B songstress Kazami, rap artist Shing02, R&B singer Minmi, American MC/producer Fat Jon, and perhaps most notably, Japanese DJ/producer Nujabes, who had sadly died in a traffic accident on February 26th 2010. Samurai Champloo's ambient soundtrack has since received very high critical acclaim and is ranked among the Top Ten Anime Themes and Soundtracks of All Time, with it being listed at #10 and Cowboy Bebop taking the #1 spot.

   I wouldn't say that Samurai Champloo is perfect (After all, I have chanced upon quite a few folks that have expressed their dislike for it), but it certainly remains one of my biggest influence and will perhaps continue to be for years to come, and in the most positive manner possible. It is a series with a surprisingly effective blend of very different genres with incredibly entertaining and well animated fight sequences, along with the most amazing soundtrack to nicely wrap it all up. And quite frankly, it has a pretty entertaining story and colorful cast of characters (Fuu will probably grow on you overtime, if you give her a chance, I think), while that is certainly not the award winning bit to the series,  it is not something to be looked over either.

No comments:

Post a Comment