Saturday 12 March 2016

The Bond of Four - Character Designs 4

   So it's been awhile since I posted about any of my character designs, and while one of them will no longer be featured in the animation itself (This will be discussed about further in another post about the storyboard and animatic itself), here they are! Lord Hideyori and Tamaki the Giant.


   As Lord Hideyori is obviously meant to be this character that leads a very luxurious lifestyle, I had to figure out someway to keep that extravagant look his robes had without having to draw in heavy amounts of detailing on the sash and hems (Like I had with the old illustration). I soon enough found one brush I had that creates a subtle sort of texture instead of flatly coloring an area which I think would make his robes look less plain. The first color scheme as always is based on the colors used in the original illustration. I will be honest when I say that I am still pretty stuck on what color scheme to go for with this character, and so while keeping the feedback I was given by my buddy in mind on Skype, I will hopefully be able to get more feedback during my presentation this coming Thursday.


   I decided to remove Tamaki the Giant from the animation while I was halfway through redesigning him, but decided to continue on finishing his character sheet so that it can be placed inside the art book itself (It still really breaks my heart that I had to take him out, along with the little kiddies that he took in, and speaking of them, I still need to design them too). I also used the same texture brush to color him like I did with Lord Hideyori so that his outfit wouldn't seem too plain, and in this case, it works in giving him a more rustic feel. And seeing as he will no longer be in the animation, I did a second version that is closer to his design in the original illustration (AKA, the psychedelic vest). Also a noticeable difference between the original design and this one is that his hair now covers his eyes, which is a little detail I felt added to the adorable quality that this gentle giant should portray.


   I did this way back and just hadn't posted it. After receiving some more feedback from Cara and the others, I eventually decided to go with the biggest image in the right-hand corner as Ohana's final design. Everything else was just a little too genie-ish than witchy (Look at my splendid variety of vocabulary here). The ones in the right corner bear far too much resemblance to Blue Diamond from Steven Universe... which, I did technically base the design on, to be quite honest. Also, I really did want to show her eyes in the animation, so that was another reason to boot that design out.


   I have considered several eye colors for her, and for awhile, I almost considered something otherworldly and interesting for her (Aside from some crazy anime colors, I even thought of slitted pupils)... But they all turned out a little too evil or freaky for a character who was suppose to be a 'good witch', and so I decided to go with a warm brown for her eye color. I even considered making her blind during one time... Which, I am actually still thinking about... Nah, the brown honestly suits her best out of them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment