Monday 3 February 2014

A Tale in the Sting - Pre Production - Choices 1

And so commences the final module for the year… I have to admit, all the assignments I have received thus far have been enjoyable in their own way, despite how much I whined and how bitter I seemed in most of my posts, I am really glad that my lecturers have always given us considerably open topics to work with.

And what better way to end this then to choose from three choices!

Study Task A - Idents

Three out of four channels are to be chosen for this project, it is from there that I am to design three considerably different indents and meet the requirements of each client (Not that they are all that specific anyway), each with a duration of 10 seconds (With a frame rate of 24 frames per second).

While I believe the research process will be quite enjoyable (Especially when it comes to looking further into channels like the Discovery Channel and CBeebies…), my past experiences in creating indents or stings have never progressed and ended… pleasantly. In short, I am just awful when it comes to working on more graphic animations (And illustrations for that matter), so if these clients were real, I would have to collaborate with someone to be able to create something halfway decent...

Still that doesn't mean I am completely rejecting all graphic jobs in the future, I just feel that it only makes sense to choose a task I would enjoy working on the most, especially since it will be the last module for the year.

Study Task B - Titles

A book (Graphic novels are also accepted) that has not yet been adapted for film or TV is to be chosen for an animated title sequence that should last for exactly 40 seconds, another little fun bit is choosing the actors that will star in it (Though simply adding their names into the title sequence or drawing them in has yet to be decided…).

I found myself immediately interested by this assignment, not only did it require some form of narrative in introducing the story, but I felt that it allowed the most freedom out of all three tasks (I mean if choosing the casting doesn't count, then I don't know what freedom is). I also feel that this will give me a chance to use a different method of animating, because I don't think it will be a wise choice using my previous method of drawing one frame at a time for this one… (40x24=960 frames, I'm not insane)

I already have several books in mind and will commence my research into them for the rest of the week.

Study Task C - Campaign

There are two charity organizations that wish to have a 40 second animation done in developing and raising public awareness of the work that they do, obviously, pick one.

I find this study task to be the most restricting out of all three. While it will indeed be done for a good cause, I honestly believe that an animation with such a short duration cannot possibly evoke the proper amount of sympathy that is so needed when advertising a campaign for human rights or teenage counseling, and will not get a strong enough message across as compared to a live commercial.

It may have some form of narrative, but I believe I can create a much better animation product with Study Task B.

No comments:

Post a Comment