Wednesday 5 February 2014

A Tale in the Sting - Pre Production - Idea Generation and Scheduling

Just like the previous module, I quickly drafted up a schedule to refer to over the next 4 months, hopefully I will be able to manage my time better this time round, especially when the easter holidays come around. There is especially so much more going on with most deadlines coming around the same time, I really need to get cracking!
Brief Outline for Assignment
Idea Generation
Before I can truly figure out what direction I wish to take my titles animation into, I still need to decide on one particular book that I would be able enthusiastically work on for the next few months, I have narrowed it down to three choices, that being "Abarat", "Sandman", and "Toto Chan". I suppose the next thing to do is list out pros and cons before I make a decision on which one book I should work with and begin proper research on.

"Abarat" would most definitely make for a great visual treat, especially since it is still to me, one of the most imaginative books I have ever read. It would also most definitely be fun to draw the characters in my own style, while also trying to pay some homage to Clive Barker's own illustrations. The only unfortunate part is that my own copy of it is back in Singapore, so either I just skip on ahead to the next choice or actually look somewhere and buy another copy, I was rather disappointed to learn that there weren't any ebook versions of it online that I could purchase.

"Sandman" would be a little more challenging but would nonetheless be worth working on, I am however conflicted about whether I should work on the very first issue of the series, or just go ahead and pick another issue I enjoyed more (Because Delirium was unfortunately not introduced until after the first book). On a more personal note, I feel inclined to pick this one so that I could specially dedicate to someone near and dear to me. I believe I have more than enough visual references for this one as well, aside from the comics, there are special illustrations done by talented artists and fan artists such as Dave McKean and Jill Thompson.

"Totto-Chan: The Little Girl at the Window" is a humorously different choice as compared to the last two choices, seeing that it is a whimsically bittersweet memoir about a young japanese girl during World War II. While I will have to design the characters and possibly some of the settings from scratch, I thankfully have the ebook for reference.

And so after much thought, I have now narrowed it down to two choices, "Sandman" and "Tottoo-Chan", seeing that I at least have the books for both… hopefully by tonight I will be able to make a decision and finally pick one.

No comments:

Post a Comment