Sunday 9 February 2014

A Tale in the Sting - Pre Production - Choices 2

So apparently I am still having trouble deciding between two books, so I believe doing a little write up for each of them might aid me  a little in my decision making:

Sandman (Vertigo) by Neil Gaiman



A comic book series written by Neil Gaiman and published by DC Comics, the series chronicles the adventures of Dream (Of the Endless, a group of beings who embody powerful forces of aspects of the universe), who rules of the world of the dreams, the series from for 75 issues, from January 1989 until March 1996. "The Sandman" is one of the few graphic novels ever to be on the New York Times Best Seller list, along with Art Spiegelman's "Maus", "Watchmen" and "The Dark Knight Returns".

Considering the fact that a film adaptation of the first issue is being produced by David S. Goyer, I felt that this could be in a way my own sort of proposal when it comes to the art direction in which the film should be taken in, like many fans, we always desire for film adaptations to be faithful to its source material (And despite how they do they do say that the original writer is has a huge role in keeping the film faithful, so far I have never truly seen that working out).

I mean… there's no harm in trying… right?

Totto-Chan: The Little Girl at the Window by Tetsuko Kuroyanagi


A children's book written by the Japanese television personality and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, Tetsuko Kuroyanagi. The book was originally published in 1981 and became an instant bestseller in Japan. The book is about the values of the unconventional education that Kuroyanagi herself received at Tomoe Gakuen, a Tokyo elementary school founded by educator Sosaku Kobayashi during World War II. And hence, this book is considered her childhood memoir.

While I have never actually read many books, I remembered this book being a huge part of my childhood, I remembered how nearly everyone in primary school had read it, making it, in a sort of way, a fad that I had to follow then, but I didn't regret it. This is a beautiful book  with a heartwarming story, and I am actually quite surprised that an adaptation has not been done for it yet (Despite there being so many translations done for it over the years due to its success).

I could have asked around, but something tells me that it is only right to make this choice on my own…

While I will have to do the character designs from scratch (Unlike "The Sandman", that has oodles and oodles and visual references) I believe that I just might go with "Totto-Chan: The Little Girl at the Window" for my choice of title animation. It will also allow me to research further into the book's setting, that being pre WWII Japan, and roughly how their educational facilities were like back then.

I truly adore "The Sandman" series, but I believe that I should only return to that project once I have gained a little more confidence in my animating skills, and who knows, when that time comes, hopefully the movie is STILL in the production stage, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment