Wednesday 26 February 2014

You Spin Me Right Round Babeh! - Animation

Whoa slow down there, friend!
The first thing I did was take photos of my chosen object, which wasn't too much of an issue, though I ended up retaking a few when I noticed that it was not properly facing its front… and back to me (Something tells me that I would still have had the same problem even if I had used a rotation stand, unless I had found some way to measure the angles somehow), also its unfortunately jaw broke off halfway through and so I had to make a few changes, though I believe it was for the best since there were less details to draw in.

I knew this was going to be a challenge from the very start, I could have picked something simpler, butI ended up picking this item for sentimental reasons (That and almost everything else was too simple or dull in comparison… and just wouldn't stay up straight). At least it has a simple color scheme (Though I tried to add in a bit of shading as well). 

I messed up the first time when I drew the first image of it facing the side right in the centre of the paper, instead of positioning it more to the left as I should have (Why did you leave me, common sense?!), and by the time I realized that, I had already drawn 6 images, I had only noticed when there was not enough space for the 6th image. Thankfully though, after getting some new paper, all I had to do was position them properly beneath each new sheet of paper and just trace over them before carrying on.

The next issue unfortunately was much, much worse, even though I had tried my hardest to keep its pivot point and size in check, I later on had to get a lot of adjusting done for it after scanning in all the completed drawings, seeing as it grew in size near the end. After much frustration (The video timeline mode for Photoshop refused to cooperate with me for most of the night when it came to reposition and resizing the layers), I had managed to create an adequate enough looking animation.

This probably wasn't too bad for my first try, especially with such a complexly designed object, still, I really need to be more careful when it comes to its sizing next time.

The only comment I really got about this was to clean up the lines a bit more (Though I suppose I can't actually say that it was a form of stylization, can I?).

No comments:

Post a Comment