Sunday 25 January 2015

Collaborative Practice - Choosing Briefs

While there were some surprisingly interesting briefs available on the D&AD website, being the cheapskate that I am (Seeing as we have to pay for our submissions), I also picked out a 2 more briefs from YCN (Be thankful, I originally chose 3 from there too!) just in case my partner and I decided not to get out any money from our wallets. I am not entirely sure if these D&AD briefs are suitable either for two people to work on... though I suppose we will be able to get this settled in the next session when we meet up with one another.


D&AD

1. Pantone - Reimagine your hometown through a new colour scheme.

It doesn't matter which one of our hometown's we decide to work on for this one, I believe both the UK (Or if we want to be more specific, York or Leeds) and Singapore have so much potential when it comes to being presented in a new light, the only thing is that the two are so incredibly different from one another, so we will have to choose carefully and see which one we will truly see all the way through. 

I was immediately appealed by the large focus on colours for this brief, and I will most definitely enjoy researching into colour usage as well as whichever hometown we decide to go with. This brief seems to accept digital interactive works, an area that my partner and I are still quite unfamiliar, and so it would be interesting to give it a try.

2. WWF - Inspire a new generation to understand that we all have an impact on our planet and an effect on its health.

I believe that my partner and I would be interested to work on something set by the WWF, considering its relations to the environment. My partner had also recently worked on something quite similar for her individual brief, so she might have more experience in this than I do. This maybe the most suitable brief for a collaboration, as it seems to have a more serious and formal creative challenge as compared to the other briefs.

This brief may have the biggest workload too (Including the supporting items that they allow), while the others require visual supporting items, this brief also happens to ask for audio and text submissions, the latter is where my partner will come in...

3. wetransfer - Create a print and online illustration to celebrate the person you'll be in 10 years' time. You can be whoever, whenever, however you want to be.

This one requires quite a bit of documentation (Aside from the usual research) on ourselves, and I am not entirely sure if my partner will be comfortable with this. But I do feel that it will be just as enjoyable as the Pantone brief, as there are so many ways we could go about this. I do question however over whether we should make two sets or just one, if we were to do two, perhaps we could switch and do each other instead?

This brief might seem fun and easy enough (As the challenge seems straight forward and there isn't much to submit in terms of the main deliverables), but I doubt it will be as it is so open, and I do find 'ourselves' to be a tougher subject to work on their our own hometowns.


YCN

4. Topdeck - Introduce and its products to a UK audience

This brief revolves around travelling promotions and wishes for entrants to figure our new ways that they could market their brand and replace the typical brochures. While I am not particularly interested in advertising, the content for this brief however has piqued my interest and should at least be interesting to research and work on.

This will be pretty challenging too as neither my partner and I have travelled around much, so there will be a lot of research needed for this one, into both the company and the various locations they offer to their customers, and of course research into examples of relation to the sort of thing they wish for us to design for them.

5. Fedrigoni - Design a marketing tool to promote out latest range of uncoated black papers and boards: Sirio Ultra Black

It probably seems dull at first that this briefs wishes for entrants to promote some kind of paper, but after looking at the other services this paper mill provides, I actually wouldn't mind looking further into this brief (I got such a "Office" vibe off it). It's also pretty different to the other briefs that desired to have their brands promoted in some way or form, seeing as they are willing to send us a student sample pack of their product to help us on the way, and are more than happy to let us visit them at their Studio in London.

I would like to see if my partner and I could actually design something suitable for this product if we decide to go with this brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment