Tuesday 27 January 2015

Live Brief - Qwertee - Design 2

This idea was based on a meme, which I don't think has really been illustrated yet in any sort of merchandise, and while there have been tons of gorgeous Street Fighter-based tee designs, I thought that this would be an amusing idea to execute.


I did waste some time trying to figure out a decent pose from him, while I had considered him to be drawn in a more patriotic pose or one where he looked a little more, shall we say, badass (With aviators on and a coat over his shoulder)? In the end I went with one of his more energetic victory poses.



The next issue was drawing a decent flag behind him, while I considered framing him in a circle with a part of the American flag showing in it, I rather liked this idea of the whole flag waving grandly behind him. Despite following the reference as closely as possible, it would look nowhere near as good unless I did a vector in Illustrator (Which I didn't want to waste to much time on)...



And so scrapping that idea after painting it 3-4 times, I instead used a royalty free image of the American flag and distorted it a little so that it looked like it was waving in the wind (Which was actually easier said that done since the Wave settings were very sensitive).


I quickly airbrushed in some shadows after that, before giving it a slightly pixelated look to match the main subject.



Upon placing the image into the mockup, I realised then that the Ipod could not been seen unless I switched it to the other one (Seeing as the flag is there as a background). So upon going back to fix that issue up, I was glad to see that his pose actually looked better this way, even without the Ipod in the left fist, it really looks like he is reacting enthusiastically to the song he is listening to, and had I stuck with the original pose, the right arm would look a little awkward.


After that was done, I decided to save a png version of this image before applying it to the mock up (So that the whites would actually show), before finally sending it for approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment