Wednesday 28 January 2015

Live Brief - Qwertee - Design 3

I won't be posting this design just yet, but at least I'm on a roll. I might have to stop for the time being so I can get on with other projects, but hey I probably just need to get 2 more done! At the present moment, the first design seems to be getting some decent response, though I cannot say the same for the second one, though I suppose I should just wait a little longer for that one to get around... I do hope people leave some comments if they want me to fix anything on either of them.

Anyway, for the third design, I thought there was a serious lack of Bomberman merchandise, especially ones based on one of the series' best instalments, "Saturn Bomberman", that game had one of the best gameplays, designs and music and someday I will find a decent emulator version of it to play on my laptop!

Old fanart
While I was initially going to do a design with just the main character in it, I also remembered that one of the highlights of the game were the adorable (And of course helpful) dinosaurs that you could get throughout. And so before I began sketching out the shirt design, I looked up various screenshots and watched a play through so that I could sketch out references for these dinosaurs and their three forms so I would have less trouble drawing them out later on, needless to say it was still pretty hard since they were just sprites in the game...

Forgot to add in the ears for the last one, though I probably mistook them
for a single horn on the head.
Once that was gone, I then began my rough sketch, it was at this stage I was trying to figure out what type of eyes to give the dinosaurs (Give them those Pokemon-ish ones that have both pupils scleras, or simply give them black sideway comma-shaped ones... I went with the latter in the end) and what body shape the Bombermans should have, I suppose I made them a little too fat, but I think that just adds to the cuteness factor.



I was going to use my usual painting style of just painting over a rough sketch, before thinking that it might look better if it stuck closer to the basic cel-shaded style used in most of the game's artwork. And so, despite how reluctant I was, I began creating a cleaner lineart from my rough sketch.



Once the characters in front were all inked, I then moved them closer together to get rid of the awkward looking gap between them, before lining the dinosaur at the back (It's a shame that his cross shaped belly button can't be seen).




It was here that I realised that I ended up using more than 6 colours (I say black and white counts as two colours), and so sadly I had to scrap the green... darn it Bomberman! Why do you have to be so colourful?!


While I ended up using existing colours that had only been used for the Bombermans (Yellow, blue and pink), I did change the shade of blue to a slightly lighter one to match the dinosaur's original shade of blue (Which was still much lighter)...


I really was not pleased with the colours used (It honestly looked like something used on those cheap merchandise you see in Chinese markets), and before finishing up, I messed around with the colour settings to see if anything better could come out of it, as well as threw some textures over to see if anything would look good.


In the end I went with a slightly retro looking colour scheme, and I think it looked pretty good once I applied it to the mock up. I will submit it in a few days time, and hopefully it will do better than the second one. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment