Tuesday 27 January 2015

Live Brief - Qwertee - Design 1

I started by listing down a couple of series, regardless of whether they were obscure, popular or are presently trending heavily, what mattered was whether they had any merchandise made for them yet, and whether people would actually be interested if not. I then decided to start off with something simple and do a quick design based on the cult classic "System Shock 2", with my first design featuring the game's evil AI, SHODAN.

Ink sketch I did for Inktober.


Making sure I didn't lose too much of that sinister look the original had (Which I believe occurred with my Inktober sketch), I closely referred to a picture of her as I drew in the details on her face as well as her creepy leering eyes. And for the time being, everything was simply drawn in white.



While the pattern was pretty nice on its own, I felt that it wouldn't be as iconic without the glowing streaks of green that surrounded her face, and her piercing pupils (That I noticed were sadly removed in the upcoming remake). And so seeing as I have technically only used two colours (With five being the maximum on dark coloured shirts, I decided to go ahead and add in those green glowing streaks as well as some purple wires... and just colour her face in, I felt that it had an appealingly more 3D look after that.

I didn't want to draw in all the wires as I didn't want the design to look like an obvious square image on the tee itself. So to finish it off, I made the edges a little faded/textured so it didn't really seem that the lines ended abruptly.


Finally, I quickly did up a mock up and submitted it in (I might play around with the mockup layout for the other designs, but for now this first design is practically a try out as I familiarise myself with the process). Hopefully it gets accepted, but in the meantime I'd best work on the next design.

No comments:

Post a Comment