Wednesday 21 January 2015

Responsive Session 6

I don't think I repeated myself as much as I did in this module... don't blame me if you find yourself reading the same thing throughout these Responsive posts.

Aside from the A3 boards (Was really happy that a lot more details could be seen this time round after I brightened the images), I ended up printing a few A4 sheets to support them, but I suppose there was no point really doing so since my peers didn't bother reading what I wrote, and not surprisingly asked questions that had already been answered.



About the Brief
SYFY - Get the Sci-fi audience to love the Syfy brand for being the most passionate home for the genre
What's the problem?
The SYFY channel is not seen as relevant and their audience are critical of what they see as a lack of passion for the science-fiction genre. The SYFY channel also has increasing competition with the mass market channels who are now heavily invested in strong sci-fi and fantasy films/series launches.

What is it asking you to do?
To get sci-fi fans to love its brand.

What is it trying to achieve?
To show that the SYFY channel is the natural and passionate home for sci-fi despite how it probably doesn't have the best content as compared to other competitors.

Who is the audience?
18-25 year old sci-fi fans.

What are you expected to communicate to them?
Imagination, passion and great storytelling.
"We are the most passionate about sci-fi, not like those posers."

How will that message, idea or concept be delivered?
What I particularly like about this brief is how open the creative requirements are. And so as an animation student, I believe I could work on some storyboard concepts or even ideas for an entire promotional product.
Design Solution
Create a series of shorts based around various areas of of the science fiction genre (Eg, soft and hard science fiction, space opera, alternate history, dystopia, etc.) to show that SYFY deep down knows what the genre is able to provide to its fans and that it is not simply trying to cash in on the latest shows.
Why have you chosen the colours/tone of voice you have?
Some types of science fiction have more vibrant and alien colors, while others are a little darker to fit the mood, it really depends.

Is there going to be sound? If so, what kind?
Sound effects will play an important role for each short, again it depends, the campy short will use stock sound effects, while the “soft” sciece fiction short may use more mechanical sound effects as well as some more realistic ones.

Why have you chosen the brief? What are your motivations?
Out of all the choices available, it is neither too easy nor difficult. It is also gives me the opportunity to do a little storytelling in the form of advertising.

Will it appeal to the target audience?
The point is of each short is to pay some form of homage to a particular type of sci-fi that most fans should immediately be familiar with, for example, the campy short will pay homage to such classics as the original “Star Trek”, “Lost in Space”, and “Land of the Lost”, while also making reference to classic cartoons such as “Jonny Quest” and “Space Ghost”, and is purposely made to look like a cheap animation with really limited movements.

Do the characters talk in these shorts?

Each short is limited to sound effects, music and very muffled voice recordings if necessary, there are no real lines in any of the shorts consider the duration for each of them. Also it saves money when it comes to voice actors.

Truth be told, I am actually starting to warm up to this practice of presenting my work to others and getting their feedback, while it was initially quite scary and stressful, we ended up laughing during these presentations, as we aren't given that much time to present each of our works properly (Which is a good and bad thing).


I can't say I have that many notes taken down for this last session, but I did get a lot of helpful feedback as always from my peers, which are all written down on the sheets that had been provided to us. 


What I should mainly look into before I am finally finished with this brief is:

  1. To add in a few more storyboards (As 2 definitely wasn't enough to show the huge variety that the science fiction genre has).
  2. Make my presentation boards more appealing by playing around with better fonts and... remove the extra lines on the board (I am not entirely sure what they meant by this... I will have to ask them later on)
  3. Maybe make character concept boards for the other storyboards... or just exclude them entirely.
  4. Definitely create one concept that has more monster/alien designs.
  5. Perhaps combine the many types of animation to show the diversity? (It would be cheaper but I would have to completely overhaul the entire thing)
  6. Create a storyboard that is not pedominantly comic-book like to attract a different type of audience

Also we were made to fill out this sheet at the end (I might replace these with a typed up version once the digital file is available on the eStudio):



I must also rush to get the other briefs finished for this studio practice, hopefully I can get them finished during next week's tutorial week.

No comments:

Post a Comment