Monday 3 November 2014

Acting Up - Pre Production - References 2

So, I found a few more references while I was working on that story board awhile back: 


Jackie Chan's music video for the mandarin and cantonese versions of this song proved to be useful and incredibly entertaining to watch over and over as I quickly sketched down some ideas on what poses and moves to use. I was thankful that some parts of his performance was shown in slow motion (And not so thankful but still appreciative of the sped up bits), and I obviously needed more real life reference (Though I swear that someone mentioned Youtube having a slow motion feature for their videos).

Donatello


So... finding gifs of Donatello actually fighting was a lot harder than I thought (I know they are out there, it's just searching through the right tags and getting this stupid internet connection to work...), but here's what I was able to collect in such a short period of time:


1987 and 2003





It is also necessary to get references of the handler being idle with the weapon in hand or carrying out other mundane activities instead of simply fighting with it all the time (Especially if I decide to animate that last part of my animation where Moom drops the halberd and cowers in the corner), and so the simpler animations done for the older series are just as helpful.

Yay! I could refer to not just one, but two characters in these gifs!


Nickelodeon

I DEFINITELY have to refer to this version when it comes to references, seeing that it is a 3D animation itself (That I have yet to write a research post on…) while is of course applicable to this module project, it takes full advantage of its mechanics and is able to show off far more intricate movements as compared to the older series. While the animation is considerably realistic in this show, they do exaggerate a little now and then to enhance the intensity of the fight scenes.



Basic strikes with lots of shoulder and knee movements.

I tried that with my own mop… didn't go well at all.
Nice little splatter effect there to show how hard the strike is.
Notable distortion seen here.
What is particularly notable about the animation are the blur effects done for most of their actions (This is also seen with the other turtles when they handle their weapons), I wonder if it will be possible to recreate that effect in Maya? It will definitely emphasise on the confidence and skill of the character.

Really nice perspective shot here.
And I'm just going to put this one here… for reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment