Tuesday 5 May 2015

Food for Thought - Production - Animation Progress 1

I unfortunately did not have the most productive day today, so I thought I could at least show some progress on the animations I have done so far. Chances are however that I will not be making gifs for every single scene that I sketched out since there are so many and so little time left, but I will try to talk about the scenes that were tougher to animate.

I first started with a walk cycle, seeing that there will at least be two scenes that will require it (His expression will however be different in those two scenes. Since putting it up on Dropbox, Anna has already done clean ups and drew Johnny more to proportion (AKA, he's not so bean shaped anymore).






Pretty much the easiest thing I have animated and also probably the cleanest sadly enough (I do realise that I am much more comfortable in using a more painted style for my animations than a clean cel shaded one, so bless my teammates for doing the clean up). The only challenge I suppose I faced was the shading. After this, I pretty much left all the clean ups and colouring to Anna and Cara (Though of course I will step in if they require an extra set of hands, once I finish all the sketches that is...).





Cara's storyboard actually illustrated a high angle shot for this scene, but aside from the fact that I was having difficulties drawing how the top of his head would look like, I felt that a face view shot would be able to connect better to the next scene. I really tried my best to make my sketches as clear as possible, as I know how hard it would be for Cara and Anna to clean up after if they got any messier...




Regardless of how many times I animate characters looking over their shoulders, I always tend to forget how the rest of their bodies tend to stay in place unless they are actually turning their entire body around. Thankfully this did also make things easier once I realised my error. I also switched side from the original storyboard frame so that he was actually looking up to the tree above (If he was to face the other side like he did in the storyboard, he would actually be looking away from the tree).





A scene I am still trying to animating (And honestly have restarted from scratch today) is when the Cake Man struggles to get out and falls out of the tree. Chances are that I will probably remove the next scene where a high perspective shot of him is seen as he falls through the cart roof, and instead animate a simpler one that will immediately connect to the next frame which is a long shot.


I'm not entirely sure if I remembered our voice actor doing coughs for this scene (If worse comes to worse, I will try to put on the manliest voice and throw it in there).





No comments:

Post a Comment