Thursday 14 May 2015

Food for Thought - Production - Animation Progress 2

As the deadline draws near, I know that I needed to work smart, and the first thing I did before I got on with the rest of the animation sketches was to relook through Cara's storyboard and unfortunately... simplify as many scenes as possible.

I worked a little out of order and decided to work on one of the first lip sync scenes so to see just how difficult it would and how much time is required to animate such scenes later on. While I initially struggled a little as the timing for the dope sheets seem to be a little off (They also were recorded based on time and not frames, so that made things a tiny bit trickier), I soon got use to it, and actually started to enjoy it. Sure it took a little time trying to figure out how long some frames would last and so on, but I was giggling to myself later on when animating mouths that required... tongue.






I felt that I was spending far too much time trying to animate the falling out of tree scene, and so sacrifices once again had to be made so that I would have enough time to animate more key scenes for the final submission. If I had more time, I obviously would have liked to finish properly animating the entire thing, but for now, I believe the present scene of him simply sticking his leg out of the tree still allows a smooth enough transition into the next scene (That I have also simplified based on Cara's storyboards).






There was a more complicated shot where we see Cake Man falling through the roof of the cart from above, this was once again changed so that both scenes would directly connect to one another. There was also a slight contradiction when it came to design details, as the storyboard shows the cart having a wooden roof, when our cart designer Anna states that the top of the cart is simply a cloth canopy.

The first few frames actually shows some torn bits of the canopy
as he falls through.
I finally went back to finishing up this scene (This was actually the first lip sync scene) which you will see in another Animation Progress post, Anna thought that it would have been possible to finish cleaning up what was presently available for the final crit session. Needless to say, some hilarious hijinks ensued...




Aside from that, I quickly tried to correct how the Cake Man's body should look for the side, as my initial sketch was too messy for Anna to see and clean up.

No comments:

Post a Comment