Sunday 3 May 2015

Food for Thought - Production - Music and Voice Acting

Seeing that we were an all girls team, we required a male voice actor for our Cake man, while a girl could probably pull off a prepubescent voice for Johnny (Much like how Tara Strong voiced Timmy Turner from the Fairly Odd Parents), the same obviously cannot be said for our dear narrator. From the very beginning, we wanted a voice that would either resemble the late Phil Hartman's portrayal of Troy McClure, or Tom Kenny's Narration in the Legend of Korra. And needless to say, finding someone suitable proved to be a lot harder than I initially thought.

Since the first critique session, I have been on the search for the right voice actor. For awhile I was told that one of Cara's friends would volunteer to voice him, but a little while later, due to time constraints, he ended up dropping out. While Cara informed me that her father could be a last resort of sorts, I went all out after that and emailed several talented voice actors that I have come across through Tumblr and Youtube. Sadly, I didn't receive many responses, and when I did, they were all (If not polite) rejections.

Near the end of Easter break however, during my collaboration with a student from the Leeds College of Music, fortune was finally shining down upon me when I decided to ask him whether he or any of his friends were interested at all in voice acting... I was referred to one of his friends then, whose voice suited the Cake man wonderfully (And even the Ice Cream man). It also helped that he has been incredibly prompt in sending his recordings!

While we will be using a track from the Ren and Stimpy track for the time being, Cara's friend will be composing an original piece for our animation, so that we will be able to submit it into contests after the module's deadline. As the Ren and Stimpy soundtrack is considered production music, I didn't think I would actually be able to obtain the rights to the track that I had used for the animatic (I am still however looking into this matter for future use), and so an originally composed piece is always the best way to go if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment