Thursday 14 May 2015

Food for Thought - Production - Animation Progress 3

As mentioned in the previous animation progress post, I soon enough went back to finishing up this scene, there were a lot of subtle and jerky animations I added in aside from the lip syncing, such as Cake Man's sudden movements and Johnny's own startled reaction when he suddenly cuts him off. 

There were some complications with the posing of Cake Man, as I felt that he didn't have anywhere to lean his arms over based on Anna's cart design, and so I made do with him bending rather unnaturally over like some snake. I will try to fix this scene before we submit it in for competitions if it bothers anyone when watching it.


I simply did the icing animation, Anna will be drawing the hand and icing bag while Cara will animate it to follow the motions of my animation on After Effects. I made sure to give a few pauses in between, especially when the details of the train are added in.


Scenes such as this focused more on the transitions of facial expressions, they were simple to do and also quite fun. Hopefully I will have the confidence to animate more complex expression in the future. I still can't say the same for my turning animations however, as you notice how warp they tend to get sometimes...



The running cycle took awhile to figure out, especially since I had trouble getting use to drawing Johnny's incredibly slender body shape (If you noticed in the original walking cycle, I gave him a much more bean shaped torso), as well as the placement of his arms. The original showed them much higher in the air, but when I started drawing in the details, they just looked really off to me, and so I had to reposition them.




The panting animation wasn't too bad... it could be better, but it will have to do for now, I made sure to label what frames to duplicate, so that Anna didn't have to clean up 4 of the same frames and waste time doing so.



I thought that this would turn out horribly, and while it could probably use a bit more squash and stretch (Mainly squash), I think this scene turned out pretty well, I am also once again please with how his expressions turned out.


This was probably one of my better turning animations, his head doesn't horribly warp like it normally does in the other sketches. Also I realise I will never draw his glasses exactly as how they should be in Anna's references...



I reused the first walk cycle and simply changed his expression. I do hope however that Anna or Cara made the necessary changes to the first walk cycle, as he is humming in that scene, his mouth should be closed and not open. And since I don't have the fully coloured file for that animation, this matter is all up to them.


I was trying to connect together as many scenes as possible for this one, and it definitely took a little while to finish up, seeing as there was quite a bit of motion going on when compared to the other scenes.


Seeing that Johnny was going to stay pretty still throughout these time travelling segments, we all agreed to add some basic animation for each setting. Thanks to Cara, each baker would do something differently and in a way would connect to one another (Eg, baking in th Egyptian setting, taking out the baked goods in the Medieval settings, and finally setting the baked goods onto the table).

Fire glow animation.
Baker and smoke animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment