Friday 4 October 2013

ParaNorman (Laika Studios)


A number of animated films came out in 2012, but ParaNorman was one of the handful that I truly enjoyed (I have gotten incredibly picky with what it is that I like lately). 

I know I have really been overdoing it with my previous posts, so I will try my best to keep this one short and sweet.


ParaNorman is 3D stop motion film, that bears a lot of similarities in animation style and narration to the previous film that Laika studios had worked on known as Coraline (The original book being written by Neil Gaiman). It is the first ever stop-motion film to use a 3D color printer in creating faces, and the second stop-motion film to be shot in 3D (Big whoop for the latter).


The presentation of this story is not really what you might expect, particularly the characters (No, no, I'm not only referring to that one part at the very end...), they are pretty far from the archetypes they are labelled with in one of the trailers. 


While I am honestly not much of a fan of stop-motion (Nightmare Before Christmas is probably the only other stop-motion film I truly enjoyed), I can always appreciate and admire the hard work and patience put into it. 

I thought this was wonderfully done, and also shows how amazingly executed 3D printed products can be, I especially loved that small close up scene of Courtney's trembling, tearing eyes and of course one of the final scenes that takes place in the spirit dimension, which was just stunning.


So in all, I absolutely enjoyed the story (Especially with the different twists it took for such a genre), it was creepy, funny and really touching and in all, absolutely endearing. I also liked the music used throughout and again, the stop-motion was amazing to me, I plan to get the DVD for my collection once I return to Singapore.


Do watch it if you guys haven't done so, please.



No comments:

Post a Comment