Wednesday 23 October 2013

Sketchbooks



I thought it felt right to start this blog post off with some doodles I have done of existing media (AKA, the girlies of "Final Fantasy X"), because I will admit right here and now that I am indeed one of many that does way too much fan art in her free time, which I still think isn't too bad a thing...

To me drawing fanart is always a great warm up and a fun way to test your memory of how a character looks when there aren't any references about, it is also a great way apply your own style to them, instead of completely copying off existing artwork of them. Drawing fan art also allows you to illustrate scenarios (Another great way to practice drawing concept art) both existing and originally thought of by the fans themselves.

Still think fan art is pointless? Well how about this? 

At least we are drawing.



For some reason I drew a blank when it came to designing armor for a character I was doodling out one day, and so instead I ended up doing some quick studies or armor references I found online and drew them all around her... Hopefully I will be able to draw a better set of armor for my character in the future.



I had never realized how enjoyable it was to do quick sketch studies of martial artists, especially when they are put into action, it is most definitely a great way to practice drawing more dynamic poses and motions. The only issue is how lightning fast these talented martial artists are with their strikes, and so most of the time I still do have to pause videos or just… give in and look at screenshots.


There comes a time where you just need to break away from all of your schoolwork and instead work on your own personal stuff. It seemed like the right time to redraw some of my old original characters (And when I mean old, I mean really, REALLY old), I most definitely have improved in my drawing skills over the past years, so I was curious as to how my old creations would try out in my present style.

Needless to say I am excited about redrawing and polishing up my other old character designs now. These characters are now given considerably more unique facial features, body shapes and postures, things that I have never been able to give them in the past.



Shown here are two storyboards that I had done for my first big animation project
many months back, while the first one at the top was chosen and modified to a shorter duration. I however still wish to use the second storyboard for a future project.

Just a random collection of character concepts, breakdancing poses, and a really awful attempt at Romy and Michelle (Fan art always sneaks its way into most of these pages in my sketchbook…).

 

I was just messing around with watercolors at time, seeing if I was able to design something without having to sketch out a guide first. While the paper didn't react too well with all the watercolor soaking, I think these did not turn out so bad, I had to simplify a lot of details however but I believe the colors were able to give off the desired mood for each background concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment