Sunday 15 February 2015

Food for Thought - Pre Production - Moodboards 3

And so I am back with more mood boards, you probably think that we have more than enough references and inspiration, but you know what? NO! You're wrong!

While not all of these necessarily focus on food (Particularly the ones in the middle), I felt that these examples gave off the tone and atmosphere that we wanted for our animation, something cute, cheerful and bright. And it is just interesting to note that they don't differ all that much to one another, especially when you consider the fact that "Sailor Moon" and "Akazukin Chacha" came out about a decade back, while "PPGZ" and "Cooking Mama" are a tad more recent.

Japanese Inspiration: 
Sailor Moon (90s Version), PPGZ, Akazukin Chacha and Cooking Mama.

This next mood board that focuses on more Western based examples showcases a few designs for various candy shops, parlours, fantasy lands, and as usual, all sorts of sweet things. There always going to be some pink in there somewhere (Be it the wallpaper, or even the skies), and I suppose that is just one of the more obvious colour choices to associate with sweet things, brown might be the next colour, seeing how chocolate is such an often used ingredient in most popular desserts.

Western Inspiration:
Super Secret Squirrel, Spongebob Squarepants, The Simpsons and MLP: Friendship is Magic

Initially, I was going to add in some screenshots from both versions of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", but when compared to the other examples I have gathered so far, they really aren't all that impressive. The colours are actually kinda dull, especially after looking at colour examples like Wataru Uekasu's, and the ones above. 

While I thought that the Tim Burton one might at least be a little sharper and perhaps more vibrant, they still weren't as outstanding, not even the concept art. Nothing really stood out to me for candy and dessert references, and that's just really sad.

Still, I figured that I might at least add one image from the original movie in, considering when it was made, I can excuse the slightly dull look of it, considering how old this movie actually was... I am really surprised however that I couldn't find any particularly good ones from the Tim Burton version, and I was so sure that the visuals was actually the only thing that was good about that version... (But from what I can see now, they just all look a little too dark for my tastes, literally)


I should have just ONE (Or two) more set of mood boards to post, and after that, I should be done, sorry for the spamming!

No comments:

Post a Comment