Thursday 26 February 2015

Food for Thought - Pre Production - Background Concepts

After discussing with Cara and Anna the day before yesterday on what we found to be the best features in Cara's concept sketches for the first setting of the animation, I volunteered to combine them together and paint out some colour concepts. Aspects I had to consider was to make sure that it would be appealing enough, but not too distracting that the attention will be taken away from the characters themselves.

I am sure however that that issue can be avoided, while the characters will be flatly coloured, the background designs in contrast will be given textures, which should allow the characters to stand out even more.

Caca's Lovely Sketches

The moodboards I had put together awhile back proved to be extremely helpful, I also however took into account Cara's little note about how her designs were based on Scott Wills' works in "Samurai Jack" (A little bit more about him can be read here).








After hearing what my teammates had to say, I then combined together the best features from each concept piece, cleaned it up a tiny bit and added in a little more detail (Like the details at the back of the cake cart behind the cake display). As Johnny and Cake Stand Man both have quite a bit of pink on them, I decided to add in a bit more blue to the cake stand itself, to create a proper contrast between them.



This is a very small goof on my part, but I think the tree should be brought further to the front, especially since Cake Stand Man will be falling out of it and landing nicely into his stand after. Though, it is still possible to fall forward and into the stand from there... oh well, this is just a colour concept anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment