Friday 20 February 2015

Food for Thought - Pre Production - Scriptwriting

We definitely needed to at least get one script draft done so that we could actually storyboard something to present for next week's session, and so one night, I finally gathered what I could from our discussions and just started writing (While playing Alf Clausen's "The Land of Chocolate" in the background... which was not the wisest of choices).

After getting as much research done as possible about cakes, I then drafted a rough outline that I could follow before I actually began writing, where a mixture of what we discussed about (Such as what sort of jokes to put in, what characters will be used, etc.) and what information I was able to gather on my own (History of cake, types of cakes, etc.) were put together. While I have written scripts in the past, this was probably the first time that I closely followed a more proper script format... which was pretty much just aligning the dialogue so that they will be in the centre and writing the names of the characters in capital letters, from what I can see really.

And once I believe I was done, I then roughly timed the script to see how long it would last, and while it was a tad hard visualising how long some parts would last (Particularly scenes where the characters are not talking), I believe it definitely came to around 2 minutes.

So far my teammates seemed alright with what we got when I showed it to them the next day, but if they desire to change anything while they worked on the storyboard, I am absolutely fine with that. I just wish I had been able to insert in more jokes and puns for them...

Anna and Cara have been doing a wonderful job with the character and setting designs, we also have a cosy little room to ourselves now (Just above the library) where we can put up our research and development work. The Cintiq in there has also made Anna extremely productive and I was absolutely floored seeing how much concept art she was able to throw out in such a short period of time! Seriously though, that thing is amazing, and I really, really hope to get one after I graduate!

So far we have at least confirmed the designs for the main characters, and so I will try getting some animation tests done for the boy and cake stand man over the weekend. We can decide on the colours another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment