Saturday 7 February 2015

Competition Brief - Macmillan Children's Books - Interior Illustration 1-2

I realised I was running out of time (As I really needed to move on and work on my other school projects), so I suppose this piece might seem a bit rushed. For Alice's sister, I quickly looked up on some bonnet and outing dresses (So much lace...) that were worn during that period, and in the end they weren't all that different to the Disney version, still it was interesting to see the various bonnet designs worn in the 1850s to 1860s.

First thing I did was clean up this two, and the cat... which still looked really weird.
Also fixed Alice's derpy expression later on.
Sketched a little more details for the trees and coloured in the blanket. 
I didn't like how Alice's shoes and stockings blended in with the blanket.
And I really didn't want to colour the grass instead, especially with
the planned lighting later on.
And so I ended up removing the blanket in the end, especially after seeing
numerous references where they weren't actually used.
Cat was removed in the end, which was alright, since it was barely mentioned
in the story.
Tree shade.
Trying to get the tree shade detail to look halfway decent took way too long...
Of course to make Alice stand out, the usual spot colour was used for her dress.
The dandelions was the next annoying bit, and I'm not happy with how
the trees turned out either. Maybe I can fix them up a little more before I submit
everything in.

While the brief did mention that you can just do one interior illustration, I do hope to draw out one more. Though I am sure that I will still need to come back to this one and fix it up a bit more (Perhaps simplify the details of the trees so that the entire thing doesn't look so busy) before submission.

No comments:

Post a Comment